Sunday, April 30, 2006

Live: Martin Sexton

Friday night was Martin Sexton. I had almost forgotten how inspiring his shows can be, especially in the close confines of a venue like the Bottleneck. The last two times I had seen Martin were festival sets (at Wakarusa and opening for Robert Randolph/Los Lonely Boys at City Market) and didn't nearly do justice to the experience.

Among the best shows I have seen of late, I was amazed by the feeling of community Martin creates throughout the night. Part of it through awe -- in many ways his performance defies logic, with so many different sounds from just one person on stage -- but part of it through the active role you play as a member of the crowd. I don't know if I've had more fun singing, clapping and echoing. There's something about it that's just sublime. My friends hadn't seen Marty before and they were blown away as well. It is one thing to hear, but another thing to see and feel.

A performance of "Hallelujah" from Martin's Earth Day set outside of Grand Central Station as part of the Green Apple Music Festival:



One of our great local tapers, KCMoJoe, has already uploaded the show to archive.org. I will be downloading from work first thing tomorrow and will try to post some highlights here after that.

Martin Sextin at the Bottleneck (Lawrence, KS) - April 28, 2006
Setlist: Angeline, Diggin' Me, Freedom Of The Road, Hallelujah, The Beast In Me, Where Did I Go Wrong, Diner, My Faith Is Gone, Free World, Can't Stop Thinking 'Bout You, Glorybound > She Cries and Sings, Gypsy Woman
Encore: Love Keep Us Together, Turn On Your Lovelight > This Little Light of Mine > Turn On Your Lovelight

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»