Monday, April 17, 2006

New Music Monday

A couple of quick updates from the day...

I've added Fresh Bread to the blog roll. If you're interested in finding some stellar photos from New York shows and some quality reggae every Friday make sure to pay a visit.

Gorillaz at the Apollo brought to you by Fresh Bread (this shot reminds me of the Muppett Show):



I've been listening to two songs all day today. One is a fantastic cover by Ray Lamontagne. The reigning No. 1 single in the UK at the moment, Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" is a perfect fit for Lamontagne's raspy vocal delivery. I'm sure it didn't take long for Ray to realize he could give the song an extra dimension. Both versions are pretty stellar (as are Dangermouse and Cee-Lo's promotional pics aping costumes from well-known films).

Ray Lamontagne || Crazy (Gnarls Barkley cover)

The other song I've had in heavy rotation today is "Out in the Black" from Imaad Wasif (Lowercase, The New Folk Implosion). I had seen Wasif's name a couple of times last week in conjunction with the release of his self-titled debut on Kill Rock Stars. The song has a classic throw-back sound that seems like a perfect fit for the quickly-warming weather. If the rest of his album sounds similar, I think I'll get a lot of play out of it this summer (we'll see when my eMusic account renews tomorrow).

Regardless, the song is a fitting companion to Lamontagne's version of "Crazy;" I've been looping them both all afternoon and will likely do so for a good portion of the morning.

Imaad Wasif || Out in the Black (from Imaad Wasif; free track on eMusic)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for adding me to your roll...i've been stagnant b/c of a move and job change but expect the best pics to come back real soon!