Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Anxiously awaiting the return of Jack & Meg

The media got a first listen to the next White Stripes release, Icky Thump, at the XL Records offices a few days ago. After reading a couple of reviews, I'm not sure I could be more interested to hear this one. Some of the reports remind me of hearing that Get Behind Me Satan featured the marimba... marimba! ... and having absolutely no idea how that sound would work out. Of course it did (settle down 'Nurse' haters), and we're all the better for it.

So when I hear things like this:

The strangest two tracks are "Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn" and "St Andrew (This Battle Is In The Air)". The former begins like, yes I know, "Gallows Pole" before the bagpipes turn up and the Scottish imagery gets denser and wilder.

...I am definitely intrigued. Then to contrast the above with word that there are some songs that recapture the early sound of songs like 'Astro' means that this album promises to be yet another sonic pinball machine from the Stripes. The full run-down is here.

More: [NME]

No comments: